Ceremonies on Sal Island
Our Cape Verde wedding services is gathering more interest with couples on honeymoon, wishing to renew vows and those who have recently or
are getting married. Marriage blessings on Sal are increasing due to new international tour operators bringing more tourists to Sal. Summer
blessings and ceremonies are becoming popular as there are now regular flights throughout the year.
Blessings, Renewal of Vows and Love and Devotion readings are becoming more popluar with tourists who are visiting the islands for a holiday. The
islands, Church and venues are just at the beginning of recognising the need for these services for tourists and are keen to help make your
ceremony an enjoyable one. As our services are being developed we will continue to make improvements and work with our partners to allow them
to make improvements too.
We offer bespoke wedding services on the island of Sal: Marriage Blessings, Renewal of Vows, Love and Devotion Readings. LINK:Weddings Cape Verde from
SERVICES WE OFFER:
1. Simplicity Package Ceremony Service
2. Family and Friends Ceremony Service
Please complete the registration form for more information....... Click Here: Weddings-Enquiry
Before you book your holiday to Cape Verde, carry out some research on the island you wish to visit. There are still many people that do not realise
that Cape Verde is made up of 10 islands. Staff at some airports announce ' The flight to Cape Verde departs from Gate .....'. Some travel
agencies also will refer to holidays in Cape Verde, so it is unlikely that people will become aware of the different islands and what each
island can offer other than the information that is provided in that travel agencies brochure. For example we only provide our wedding services
on Sal Island and no longer provide services on the island of Boavista.
Things to consider
- The Riu Hotels on the islands will not play host for ceremonies or functions within the hotel, the grounds or on the beach in front of the
hotels. Some couples who are guests of the Riu may want their ceremony on the beach near to the hotel or will have their ceremony at other
venues and if no after ceremony function is planned, some couples return to the hotel to relax, enjoy the all inclusive drinks and meal
with family and friends.
- Other hotels will accommodate ceremonies and after ceremony functions
- Rainy season is in August and September, we may not get a lot of rain, but the rain can fall outside of these months. It can also be very humid
in these months!
- There may be occasions where we will need to consider certain factors, such as during an evening on the beach during turtle laying and nesting
season, we need to keep away from beach areas where our voices may disturb turtles laying their eggs. There are laws protecting the turtles
and their nests during the turtle nesting season. Vehicles may not be permitted to access some beach areas.
- Safety and security, we advise that you take foreign office advice about safety and security.
- Going to isolated areas for a ceremony or off road will mean there is a need for 4x4 vehicles, transportation costs will increase and as already
stated this isn't advisable due to unexpected illness,dehydration, no bathroom facility, no drinking water available and more.
- Availability of venues for table reservations. Some venues may be fully booked or closed for holiday or other reasons. We will need to make
Before you fly, it’s important to inform your wedding guests that they should bring:
- Suntan lotion........ It’s expensive in the hotel
- After sun...as above
- Travel plugs.......you may not be able to get quality ones (if any)
- Camera, charger, leads, batteries, memory cards, camcorders, throw away cameras for guests.........spares and backups.
- Wet wipes or hand gel.
- Mosquito repellent, bite pens, sting relief clickers.
- Don’t forget to bring the items above with you to the venue/beach for the ceremony.
- Don’t leave items un-attended at the venue or on the beach.
- Wear protection against the sun: suncreams, clothing, hats.
- Bring bottles of water with you from the hotels, this is especially important for young children, older people, people who are dehydrated,
been unwell or have had some alcohol the night before.
- Try not to drink alcohol before a wedding ceremony.
- Flat shoes advisable for beaches.
- There will be a bar or structure nearby where you can get some shade, more drinks and use bathroom facilities.
- GENERAL HOLIDAY TIP: There may be broken shells, coral, glass on or beneath the surface of the sand, so take care. There could possibly be
some in the water, when or if swimming in sea.
- GENERAL HOLIDAY TIP: If swimming over rocks be careful not to stand on them, there are often spikey sea urchins on them.
Why Sal, Cape Verde?
- Sal island has little rainfall.
- Sal is popular as a winter sun destination.
- Blue seas surround the islands.
- Sal island has beautiful white sandy beaches.
- It's a great place to relax
- The winter months are more popular with water sports enthusiasts for kite surfing and wind surfing, as the winds generally pick up.
- Scuba diving, jet ski, boat trips and fishing are also provided.
- Friendly local people.
- A mixture of nationalities from Portuguese, British and Irish, Italian, Scandinavian and more.
- Direct international flights from UK and Europe to Sal island.
- All inclusive and other hotel accommodation on the island.
- Rental properties available within towns or near beaches and within some larger developments.
- Main hotels situated along the beach.
- Turtle protection programmes operate via Project Biodiversity (Sal)
- Excursions which can be booked prior to arrival or after you arrive.
- Day trips to other islands or longer trips can be booked.
Santa Maria on Sal Island
- Has more to offer as regards accommodation, restaurants and bars, facilities/activities and water sports.
- The main town of Santa Maria provides most of the services you require and is a short distance from the main hotels.
- The Melia Hotels of Tortuga Beach Resort, Dunas Beach Resort, Sensimar are about a 10 min taxi drive from Santa Maria. Estimated taxi cost:
4-6 euros or 400-600cve.
- Other resort complexes include: Porto Antigo 1, 2 or 3.in the centre of Santa Maria
- Vila Verde on the edge of Santa Maria taxi cost 300ecv - 500ecv at night
- Murdeira.Resort about 13mins from Santa Maria, towards the airport.
- Hotels on Sal are mainly in or around Santa Maria.
- Santa Maria is around 15-20 mins from the airport. Taxi fare 1.000cve or 10euros during the day but will increase depending which driver you
Hotels and Resorts in/around Santa Maria:
Take me back
- Hotel Riu Palace and Funana. Taxi : 400cve to centre of Santa Maria. Walking distance 15-20mins +.
- Hotel Sabura. Taxi 400cve to centre of Sal. (CLOSED 2019)
- Hotel Farol. Taxi: 300-400cve to centre of Santa Maria
- Hotel Crioula. Taxi: 300-400cve to centre of Santa Maria. ( Under refurb and new ownership 2019)
- Hotel Dunas de Sal. Taxi: 300-400cve to centre of Santa Maria.
- Hotel Belorizonte and Novorizonte. Taxi: 200cve to centre of Santa Maria.
- Dunas Resort. Estimated taxi cost: 5-6 euros or 500-600cve.
- Melia Llana - Sensimar. Estimated taxi cost: 5-6 euros or 500-600cve.
- Tortuga Beach Resort. Estimated taxi fee to Santa Maria 5-6 Euros or 500-600cve.
- Salinas Sea. Situated in the heart of Santa Maria.
- Hotel Morabeza. Situated in the heart of Santa Maria.(Family run)
- Hotel Odjo d Agua, Situated in the heart of Santa Maria.(Family run)
- New Horizons. Due to open 2020. Estimated taxi cost: 4-6 euros or 400-600cve.
- The Sal Hilton. Estimated taxi cost: 2 euros or 200cve
- Smaller hotels in Santa Maria: Hotel Pontao, Hotel Santa Maria, Hotel Central, Hotel da Luz.
- Pensao in Santa Maria: Mirabella, Porta do Vento